The Department of Communication and Information was established through Ministerial Determination G145/2007. Its primary function is to provide timely policy advice to the Minister on communication and information matters, as well as coordinate awareness and dissemination of government development programs and activities".
The Minister for Communication and Information Technology has functional responsibilities for three important government agencies.
They are: • Department of Communication and Information (DCI) • National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) • National Information and Communication Technology Authority (NICTA)
The following Acts of Parliament give further meaning to the above functions:
• Broadcasting Corporation Act(Chapter 149);
• Postal Services Act 1996
• Printers and Newspapers Act (Chapter 151)
• Radio Spectrum Act 1996
• Rural Development Act (Chapter 139)
• National Information and Communication Act 2009
• Telecommunications Industry Act 2002
• Television (Prohibition and Control) Act 1980
• Cybercrime Code Act 2016